Check what you know
Did you know?
- Weight, driving style and maintenance all affect a van’s fuel economy.
- An unnecessary 45kg in the vehicle reduces mpg by 1%.
- Engine idling can have a significant impact on vehicle’s fuel economy.
- Excessive speed is the biggest fuel-guzzling factor.
Best Practice Tips
- Look ahead and anticipate oncoming hazards.
- Keep moving and do not lose momentum if safe to do so.
- Ease off the throttle to reduce speed instead of using the brakes.
- Keep windows closed.
- Listen to the engine to avoid using excessive revs.
- Lighten the load by not keeping unnecessary items in the vehicle.
- Where possible, make one round trip rather than several short trips.
A warm engine will operate at its most efficient whereas several cold starts will increase fuel consumption.
Incorrect tyre pressures adversely affect fuel economy. Tyre pressures will vary depending on the load being carried.
The biggest secret to achieving high mpg is driving in the highest possible gear for the vehicle while keeping within the speed limit.
Drivers should anticipate what is going to happen in front by looking well ahead. Seeing traffic lights on red means a driver can ease back on the accelerator or slow down naturally and potentially keep moving as opposed to coming to a stop.
Air conditioning uses engine power and increases fuel consumption.