Check what you know
Did you know?
- Penalties for speeding range from £100 – £2,500 and between 3 and 6 penalty points.
- Drivers who go to court for speeding, could be fined up to 175% of their weekly salary and even be disqualified from driving.
- Speeding fines vary for certain types of roads and for different vehicle ratings.
As a rule, the UK speed limit for vans is 10 mph slower than the maximums for cars.
Speed limits for vans are lower due to vans often weighing more than passenger cars and having a higher centre of gravity, which means the stopping distances are greater. They are not as easy to control and they can inflict greater damage on other vehicles.
Best Practice Tips
Some local councils will implement different speed limits.
Keep an eye out for any signs that might indicate this.
- Use cruise control, especially on motorways.
- Do not rely on the satnav, as they often display incorrect speed limits.
- Use a speed limiter to set a maximum speed limit.
Speed Limits for vans:
|Van & Trailer|
*The 30mph limit usually applies to all traffic on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise.